I been thinking about blogging etiquette lately. First off what is etiquette?
Etiquette: is a code of behavior that delineates expectations for social behavior according to contemporary conventional norms within a society, social class or group.
To me this means there is an expectation on how I should behave when going about my day to day activities. I'm also doing my best to instill etiquette into my son, and some days this seems an easier fight than others. I also feel there is and should be etiquette in the blogging world. I at times wonder how many feel the same way? These are some of my thoughts on blogging etiquette:
1. Be an original. Come up with your own original post. Please don't plagiarize, steal, copy someone else's ideas. I blog, because I feel I have I have an original view point, and take on things, and I want to share that with others. So using someone else's words take away what I want to say, and it is then no longer my original idea which to me totally defeats the purpose of blogging. The more you blog, and write the better your posts will get. Or that's what I keep telling myself.
2. If you are going to use someone's content, idea, photos, then give credit. Just like in school site your source, link to the blog, say where you got the photo, link to the website, give credit where credit is due. I know I get ideas from other blogs, and I have been guilty of publishing a post totally forgetting where the idea came from, but it usually comes to me later, and I will go back, and edit my post. Not to mention if you are linking back to a blog is also good way to cross promote your blog.
3. Following. I know I talked about following last week, but I'm going to just touch on one quick point. I don't expect everyone who I follow to follow me. Would it be nice? Yes. Is it expected? No. However if you are on a Discussion Board asking for followers, and I follow you then I believe it is proper etiquette to follow back. Or a blog hop where I go, and follow a blog as part of the blog hop rules, then proper etiquette is to follow back.
4. If someone leaves a comment take a moment, and visit their blog, and return the blog love.
5. Be yourself. I read blogs, because I like them. I really like blogs where people have strong opinions and let them shine. I may not 100% agree with them, but I don't have to it is their blog. However I've read many a blog post that made me think, and challenge my opinions on issues.
6. Be sure to show other blogs some TLC, tweet, like, and comment on other blogs, and watch what happens in return. I know commenting has been difficult for some. I found when asked to log back in to comment to UNCLICK remember me, and that worked like a charm.
7. Remember the golden rule 'Do unto others as we would have them do unto us.' How about I reword it to read 'Write to others as would have them write to you.' In other words be respectful in what you say in comments. We may not agree with everything we read on blogs, but there are ways of commenting, and getting our own opinions out there without being disrespectful to the blog host. If you don't think you can do that for whatever reason then just don't comment...lol. If you don't like a post move on.
Well those are a few of my ideas on blog etiquette. What do you think? I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on this.