Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Spelling With Baking Soda ~ Using All The Senses



When I saw this idea I thought it was absolutely brilliant.  This mom AT 1,2,3...Come Homeschool With Me who home schools had her daughter practice her spelling words in a cookie sheet with baking soda on it .  I thought WOW!!!  That would work for me.  I try to get Jeremy use as many of his senses as possible with spelling.  He spells it out, says the letters out loud & now can feel it.  He was sooooo excited when i showed him how he was going to review his spelling test words. Jeremy struggles with school.  He tries really hard & works hard both  at school & at home, but it's work for him.  This year with cut backs the Learning Assistance Center was closed down & this is where Jeremy did his Language Arts & Math last year.  So this year I have to be that much more hands on.  So anything that can make it more fun for him, engage him more where he can get more involved I'm all over.  I will for sure be checking back at 1,2,3...Come Homeschool With Me that's for sure.

7 comments:

Lori said...

How fun! I think I like the glass dish more than the baking sheet that I used. It makes a neater finished letter. Thanks for stopping by!

Crunchy Diva said...

not to sure about that i thought the baking sheet was better...lol. no matter jeremy loved it & can't wait to do it again today. i'll be checking by again :)

La Alicia said...

fun idea!

Walk in the Woods said...

Very cool. With many holistic benefits. The practical practice, the tactile experience, the capacity to use and reuse, the green, friendly disposal of the medium when used-up … not to mention not a single piece of paper used or tree threatened. Love it!

Crunchy Diva said...

@ walk in the woods ~ wow you are right!!!! when done with i'll just use the baking soda to wash the bath tub it's my favorite bath tub cleaner anyways...lol. i agree about the paper, EXCEPT what am i going to do with that pile of paper i'm saving to use the blank side of now...lol.

Meeling said...

Wonderful! I work with special needs preschoolers and we "write" in salt and shaving cream all the time. It's a great sensory activity!!

Crunchy Diva said...

@ meeling ~ i'm just happy as he's soooo excited to work on his spelling. now if i can get him that excited to do his reading every day & i'll be happy ;)