Thursday, June 9, 2011

Come Blog With Me Thursday



Do you ever wonder how many blogs are out there?  Well according to Wikipedia, 'as of 16 February 2011, there were over 156 million public blogs in existence.'  Wow that is a lot of blogs...lol.  those are a lot of thoughts, and ideas flowing out into the blogosphere on a regular basis!

However that brings me to the question why do we blog?  Some people blog to make money, and my understanding is that it can happen, but it doesn't happen for everyone.  I wouldn't even have a clue about how to go about that...lol.  I know it has something to do with having a popular blog (great content), which brings in readers, and then once you have a good readership that can bring in advertisers.  I'm sure it is more complicated than that, but that is my limited knowledge on the subject.  However with 156 million blogs since February 16, 2011, and there are more being started  every day how many of those blogs will make money?  I don't know what the exact number is, but I know it won't be all of them...lol.  So then why do people do it?  I know how much work I put into my blog, and I don't do reviews, I have yet to do a give away, and I'm sure all of you out there that do the reviews, regular give aways, host blog link hops, and the such are probably doing more work than me.

So then why do we do it?  Say, say, just SAY, I mean I don't have a crystal ball or anything, I can't read or tell the future, but just say,  your blog doesn't provide with you with an income that will allow you to retire at 45, and live a fabulous life.  Then why do it?  Well I can tell you why I do it, and probably why the rest most of you do it too.....

We want to share!!!  We want to share our thoughts.  We want to share our lives.  We want to share our hobbies!  We want to share our endeavors!  To some they may feel blogging is the only voice they have to express themselves.  We enjoy connecting with other bloggers!  It becomes like a community, and we just want to be appreciated for what we create, write, for our own unique voice.  To know that others feel the same, thought the same or went through the same things as us.

So what are your thoughts on the subject?  Are you making money with your blog?  Is that your goal?  Are you like me, and just like the community aspect?  Or are there deeper reasons you blog?  Inquiring minds want to know...lol.

8 comments:

Linda said...

I started blogging when I started selling my patterns commercially. I thought it would "get my name out there". Then I found a whole world of people who loved to do what I love to do. It expanded my awareness of what others are doing with quilting and just "in their lives". I found commonality. I found validation. I found friendship.I do not make money with my blog, but my life is enriched because of it.

Anonymous said...

First of all, BRAVO! I totally thought you were going in a different direction and kept reading waiting on the lane change...

Blogging and why do it is a definite topic on my mind right now. Had I not just purchased my name for an entire year, I may have very well thrown in the towel.

I don't make money on my blog, not sure how to go about it, but I think it has something to do with advertisements and such on blogs and bloggers getting paid every time someone clicks on an ad from their page. I would LOVE to get into the business of selling my afghans, though I'm not sure there is enough interest.

So why is it I blog? I found the blog network to be a great place to like you said "share" as well as maybe make a few friends who you can connect with.

Hugs~Mitzi

Healing Woman said...

Thank you for asking. I blog to teach others and to learn from others. It is a mutual admiration society. I also blog for sales and to acquire members to my residential sculpture class. I said I'd give blogging 2 years and if nothing happened, I was quitting. It has been 2 1/2 years now and I am very happy with the results. I can't imagine not blogging now!

Just found you today through your very nice comment to my blog. Thank you. I like what I see and read on yours.

Warm wishes,
Cheryl
Healing Woman

Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

I can always count you to post something that makes me think LOL! Well I blog because I am a spazzzz..and like you, I really like sharing my ideas and the millions of things running through my head. Yes it would be nice to eventually make $ blogging...but that is not my #1 goal. I think if you make that your priority people will get turned off..I do LOVE your blog though and always appreciate these kinds of posts from you.

ColorSlut said...

I don't make any money. I blog because I have found that the e-world out there is filled with people that I would be BFFs with if we lived near each other.

Blog=BFF world!

The Vegetarian Hunter said...

I read blogs for over a year before I thought, hmm, I may have something to add to that. In fact, it was wanting to add along with the fact that I finally found like minded people! I was tired of watching my husbands eyes glaze over when I mentioned fabric or pin wheels. None of my friends whom I see here are into sewing and I could see them to, not interested in it and no, they would not come to the fabric store with me.
Blogging has been the best thing that has come into my life this past couple of years. Finally I do not feel like a geek, but part of something so creative and wonderful. I would not give up my blogging friends for anything!
Money is the reason I go to work in the morning, blogging is what I do to get enjoyment and validation in my life. I love you guys!
hugs,
Carolyn

Natural Momma said...

Hmm... I blog to share experience with others, it's fun, I like the community aspect and I make "product" (not money) from my blog and money for writing articles for OTHER blogs.

:)

Scary that there are almost 200 million blogs out there!

Impera Magna said...

I'm not making $$$ with my blog and I started it for a lot of reasons... I feel like I'm the only quilter in my area who isn't retired.... and have no one to share my quilting with. I've learned so much reading others blogs and thought a few nice people might start reading what I posted and encourage me during quilting rough spots.

The people I've come in contact with are such much fun and full of life... so supportive and helpful... and just plain fun to hang out with virtually.

I no longer feel like The Lone Quilter... but part of a quilting community...