Thursday, June 16, 2011

Don't Forget the Music

That's me dancing last yeat at a Restaurant in Beaumont.

So I have my Hafla this Saturday.  Now I'm sure a bunch of you are wondering what a Hafla is.  So here you go:

Hafla ~ A small, low-key social gathering centered around bellydancing and food. May include costume vendors and live music.

Another way to describe it is a dance recital with food...lol.  It is a way for all of us taking dance classes with the same Teacher to see what each class, and student has been working on.  To appreciate all the time, and effort we each put into our classes, and practice time.  We get to show our family, and friends what we are learning.  Often there are one or two dancers from outside of our area so we get to enjoy watching other dancers too.  We get to dress up in fun costumes, put on to much makeup (think stage makeup, Drag Queen makeup...lol), put on lots of jewelry, bhindis, and just have fun. 

So about three months ago I felt all cocky like, and boldly requested from my teacher that I do a solo for the June 18th Hafla.  I selected my music, and started working on my dance.  Well that was three months ago.  Guess what?  June 18th is THIS Saturday!  THIS Saturday!!!!  That just dawned on me yesterday when my teacher asked if I was still planning on doing my solo.  Do you hear my knees banging together?  Do you hear my teeth chattering?  Do you hear my nerves?  Well I do...lol. 

As it turned out last night I didn't like my solo.  So I practiced, and tried working it out, and got it a little better.  I showed J Man, and of course he is as supportive as always ahhh Mommy how come you don't like it, it looks good.  Have to love that kid.  This morning while walking to work, and listening to my music for I swear the millionth time I worked out another part that I think I like better.  So over lunch time I was able to practice some more, and I'm 85% certain that I might be happy with it.  Tonight I'll video record it, and see how it looks.  FYI if you dance or perform video record yourself, and you'll see flaws that a mirror doesn't catch.  Keeping my fingers crossed that I like it.  Keep in mind I'm also in four group numbers....lol.  All of which I have to know just as well...lol.....5 dance numbers, four costume changes viva la bling....lol.

Well today I'm nervous so I started making lists to try to calm my nerves, and also so that I don't forget anything.  Wow I can't believe the amount of crap, very important items that us dancers drag along to shows.  While I was writing my list I got to the bottom of my list, and realized one very important thing missing that SHOULD have been at the top of my list my MUSIC....lol.  So I totally took away any chance of not performing my solo, by emailing my music to my teacher.  So now I have no excuses. 

I however will find comfort in the fact that Chris I'm sure is nervous as well, but for a whole different reason.  Like myself a couple of months ago he volunteered to make one of the dishes for the Hafla Saturday, and he's facing the same thing I am....Holy Crap Saturday is almost HERE!  So he's busy trying to figure out numbers, amount of ingredients, enough cooking pots, and so on.  I don't envy him, I'd rather perform than have to cook for eveyrone...lol.  Bless him though for offering as he is so sweet, and I know his butter chicken will be amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I'll spill the beans sorry Chris if you read this before Saturday here is the song I'm doing my solo to.



I'm sure everything will go well Saturday I just need to remember the music!



12 comments:

Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

You look amazing!! You will do great! Cant wait to hear how it goes!

Impera Magna said...

I love Harry Belafonte... AND this song! What a great one to dance to! You'll do great...

Crunchy Diva said...

@ lindsay ~ awww thank you! i'm excited, but more nervous i think.

@ impera ~ i love harry too. i was torn between this sone & a gypsy kings song, but i went with this one! i LOVE it.

ColorSlut said...

You are stunning and I'm sure it will be perfect!!!

Crunchy Diva said...

well it doesn't have to be perfect it just has to be non-embarrassing...lol

Heather J said...

I'm sure you'll do awesome. Good luck. I think it's cool that you are learning to belly dance.

Happy weekend!

Natural Momma said...

OMG- you are amazing!!!!!!!

I wish I could do this!
You know you will be awesome!

You look beautiful.

Crunchy Diva said...

hehehehehe thanks everyone!

The Vegetarian Hunter said...

So, its Sunday - How did your dance go?

Crunchy Diva said...

dance show went well just going to check out my pictures & see if any are useable.

Kellyscrafts said...

One of my best friends used to Bellydance. She had a great time and looked gorgeous in the costumes. Loved the music and I'm glad it went well. Saw on Etsy that you joined the group, so I wanted to check out your blog. Thanks.

Additionsstyle said...

I hope your Hafla was a good time. I am sure you dance went wonderfully and the food was really good.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired